Things to Do
Follow us on
This small stone chapel is one of many in Cornwall dedicated
to fishermen. St Leonard's Chapel
on Smeaton's Pier is of similar
size and construction. It's not known when St Nicholas' was built, but there
are records of its repair dating from the 15th Century.
the 18th Century the chapel was used by revenue officers as a lookout
for smugglers and in the early 20th Century it was used as a store by
the War Office, whose attempt to demolish it in 1904 was met with angry
The Chapel was restored in
1911 and again in 1971. The floor tiles depicting fishing scenes that
run under the window between the pew and the fireplace are by the
famous St Ives potter, Bernard Leach.